Why is teacher evaluation so important?
As much as it is important for the institutions to assess the performance of the students it is equally important to gauge the output of the teachers. There are many benefits of teacher evaluation.
Teachers are one of the most important contributing factors towards the process of effective learning. They are the primary source of instructions and information and data to the students.
In any learning system, syllabi and books are considered to be very vital for its effectiveness. However, without a competent teacher, there would not be anyone to guide and give direction to the students on how to comprehend these syllabi and books. So, it is essential for the institutions to select and retain the best teachers for better output.
But what makes a teacher better than the others? How does one gauge the performance of the teacher? Is there a formal process of assessing the effectiveness of teachers?
Well, the answer to all these and similar queries is teacher evaluation. Now the question that some naïve might still be asking would be what is teacher evaluation? Let us find out.
Teacher Evaluation explained briefly:
Teacher evaluation is a common procedure in most educational institutions today. It is a formal process by which school or college administration reviews the performance of the students taught by a given teacher and analyzes these reviews to develop a critical assessment of the teacher. It helps in the provision of useful and productive feedback that will be important in the career growth of the teacher as well.
At the same time, this process of teacher evaluation also ensures that effective learning is being imparted on the students. So, teacher evaluation is a very advantageous procedure in educational institutions.
In many schools and colleges, survey forms are used to carry out this evaluation. The forms consist of different questions that are answered by students to give an opinion about the teacher’s various characteristics and professional expertise in the field. In many cases the administration and peers are also included in the surveys to get a broader spectrum of information about the teacher.
Important factors of teacher evaluation include:
- Class performance of the Students taught by the teacher
- Students review
- Record and book maintenance by the teacher
- Attendance and leave record
- Lesson planning and execution
- Professional growth
- Peers assessment.
Importance of teacher evaluation:
Teacher evaluation is a very vital component of effective learning in schools and colleges. In many developed countries, these evaluation processes are governed by legal rules and laws. Below are few benefits of this process:
- When teachers are evaluated and given feedback about their performance from time to time, they are able to look into their own weaknesses and strengths and try to overcome the flaws in their teaching practices. This regular update about teacher’s performance can help bring incremental improvement in their work and professional skills.
- With regular teacher evaluations, a teacher’s record maintenance is initiated. This allows the administration to assign specific rankings and positions to the teachers depending upon their capabilities and performance in teaching. This is a way of carrying out comparative analysis of the teachers for appointment to different classes and levels of study. This also ensure optimal suitably of teachers for a given class or group of students.
- As teachers are evaluated on various criteria, unproductivity and low performance is easily highlighted. This allows the administration to pin point low efficiency teachers and opens room for replacement with more effective and efficient ones.
- The feedback that is collected from various sources in teacher evaluations is very useful for making annual appraisal decisions and promotional initiatives. They help in the career growth of the teacher.
- With regular and official evaluations in place, administration of an educational institution is able to maintain job descriptions for various teaching positions and faculty members. This helps in further evaluation process along with carrying out the HR responsibilities.
- It is the responsibility of the educational institution to provide effective learning resources to the students that are enrolled in it. By evaluating the teachers regularly, they ensure the main purpose and aim of the facility is fulfilled without any obstructions.
- With regular teacher evaluations improved appraisal process is initiated and with incremental promotions and incentives the efforts and performance of good teachers is recognized. As a consequence, these appreciated teachers are motivated to a higher level and hence perform even better in the times to come.
So, we see that there are many benefits of carrying out regular teacher evaluations in educational institutions and all these benefits are essentially important for contributing towards the execution of an effective learning process. Without teacher evaluation the quality of education is definitely compromised.